SKIN NEEDLING / COLLAGEN INDUCTION THERAPY (CIT) / SKIN NEEDLING
Skin Needling or Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT) is an exciting new natural treatment to improve your skin texture, smooth wrinkles, fine lines and soften scars. It is suitable for all skin types and all areas of the face, neck, décolletage and hands. Skin needling is performed with a surgical grade instrument with stainless steel micro needles ranging from 0.5mm to 1.5mm in length. Scaring is treated with needles up to 2mm.
Hyaluaronic acid and colostrums gel is used during the treatment to help hydrate the skin and minimise fine lines. This can be purchased after your treatment (see below). The treatment promotes the natural reproduction of collagen and elastin, making the skin feel smoother and tighter. Creating only microscopic punctures in the epidermis, skin needling is minimally invasive with little damage to the epidermis which means the collagen production is significantly quicker than some other more aggressive treatments.
WHAT SKIN TYPES ARE SUITABLE FOR THIS TREATMENT?
- fine lines, dull skin, enlarged pores
- acne scars, chicken pox scars and surgical scars (more than 6 months old)
- naso-labial lines and smokers lines
- rejuvenation of hands , neck and décolletage
HOW MANY TREATMENTS WILL I NEED?
Generally a minimum of 3 treatments are required to achieve the optimum rejuvenation of an area. When treating scarring, at least 5-6 treatments would generally be required. The treatments are performed 5-6 weeks apart.
WHEN WILL WE SEE RESULTS?
The first week after the treatment you may get some skin peeling which helps lighten pigmentation or scarring and the skin looks more hydrated.
The results are gradual as collagen re- production takes time, most clients report a gradual improvement in their skin colour and texture over 6- 8 week period. That improvement is compounded as each consecutive treatment is performed. So it’s really important to apply creams at home and commit and rebook your treatments to see the best results.
WHEN IS SKIN NEEDLING TREATMENT NOT SUITABLE?
- the treatment should not be performed within 2 weeks of having an injectable dermal filler or botox.
- the treatment is never performed on raised moles, warts or lesions
- during pregnancy (when breastfeeding the treatment is allowed)
- medication (some medication may reduce healing time, please advise your therapist on anything you may be taking)
- the treatment will not be performed if the client has an active herpes or acne breakout, however, once resolved the treatment can go ahead after 2 weeks
- medical conditions( ie diabetes) need medical certificate
THE SKIN NEEDLING TREATMENT EXPLAINED
The skin is cleansed (and quick Microdermabrasion is done depending on skin condition) & numbing cream is applied for 20-30 minutes. This minimizes the discomfort and most clients’ grade discomfort as 2-3 out of 10 at the most. Mostly round bony or thin skin areas such as lip, forehead and eyes. Panadol only may be taken prior to treatment.
The skin is thoroughly treated in such a way that each area is needled about 15 to 20 times. An even flushing is the best indication for a perfect medical grade treatment. Your skin will appear flushed (pink to red) which may last for 12 to 24 hours on average. The treatment takes approximately 45 minutes. In total allow 90 mins for your appointment.